Blender Buyers Guide
Blenders are among the most commonly used kitchen appliances. They are versatile and can be used to create a myriad of culinary delights. Whether you’re looking to combine yogurt and various fruits to create the perfect smoothie or you want to mix together different types of veggies and broth to whip up a tasty and nutritious soup, a blender is the appliance that you can rely on to get the job done.
If you are on the market for a new blender or you are getting your very first one for your new home, this buyers guide will help you select the right one for your specific needs.
The Benefits of a Blender
As previously mentioned, blenders are a handy appliance for mixing together various ingredients to create various concoctions. Blenders can do a variety of tasks, including chopping, dicing, blending together different ingredients and pureeing food, as well. They are extremely handy appliances, as they reduce the amount of time it takes to prepare food and they promote healthier eating habits. For example, you can mix together different vegetables to make a nutritious soup or blend fruits, yogurt and/or juices to make a healthy smoothie.
A Look at the Different Types of Blenders
When you go shopping for your new blender, you may be surprised to find that there are so many different options available. How do you know which is which and what type will suit your needs the best? In order to help you find the right blender for your needs, here’s a look at the different types that are available and their functions:
- Immersion blenders. These blenders are a handheld option. They are smaller and easier to use, since they can be used directly in the vessel of your choice. For example, if you are mixing up a dip, you can toss the ingredients in the bowl of your choice and simply place the immersion blender into the ingredients to create your dip. This type of blender is also great for making purees and soups.
- The countertop blender. The countertop blender is the most commonly used blender and usually what comes to mind when you think of this appliance. These devices are build to last for years even with daily use. They are versatile and can do a variety of jobs. From mixing together big batches of leafy greens to make soups to grinding nuts and grains to make bread dough, a countertop blender can do so many things. They are great for making smoothies, soups, frozen drinks and so much more.
- Blender/ food processor combo. You can also purchase a combination blender and food processor. These appliances combine the best of both worlds, allowing you to easily create your smoothies and soups, as well as grate, dice and chop your veggies, fruits, nuts and grind your meats.
Things to Consider When Purchasing a Blender
As with all kitchen appliances, there are some very important things that you are going to want to take into consideration when you are buying a blender. Here’s a look at some of the things that you are going to want to think about before you purchase your blender so that you can select the one that will best meet your needs.
- What will you be using the blender for? One of the most important considerations you are going to want to make is what you are going to be actually using the blender for. Will you be using it primarily to mix drinks? Do you want to chop veggies? How you intend on using the blender will make a huge difference in the type of blender you purchase. For example, if you are going to be using it to make smoothies, you’ll want to pick one that has a liquefy option. If you are going to be using it to chop veggies, you’ll want to select one that has a chopping feature.
- It’s all about the base. Yes, the base is actually a pretty important part of a blender. Since this appliance has a pretty powerful motor, it can jump around the countertop a lot if the base isn’t strong and sturdy. With that said, opt for a blender that has a hefty base, as you want the appliance to stay still when it is in use.
- The size. Another important thing to think about is the size of the blender. How much space do you have in your kitchen? Are you limited on countertop space? If so, you’ll want to choose a blender that can easily fit in the space. If you have more space, you have more leeway with the size of your blender.
- Consider the look. While the look and style of the blender won’t have any effect on its function, it is something that you do want to think about. Your blender will be sitting out on your countertop, so you want it to work with the rest of your kitchen. For example, if you have stainless steel appliances, you might want to opt for a blender with a stainless steel base. On the other hand, if your kitchen is retro, look into a blender that has a retro look.
- The jug. The jug of a blender is extremely important. This is what you will hold all of the food items that you want to blend. Make sure that the jug is large enough to accommodate whatever it is that you intend on making with the blender.
- The lid. You should also take a good look at the lid. It should fit on the top of the blender’s jug securely. If it doesn’t, it could pop off and create a gigantic mess. Consider choosing a lid that has an optional screw top in the middle of it. This feature will allow you to easily add items while the blender is in use, if you so choose.
- The control panel. This is another consideration that you are going to want to make. You will find that blenders have various types of control panels, from flat, push button panels to panels that have pop-out buttons. Both work well, but if you want a blender that is easy to clean, opt for the former control panel. It will be a lot easier to wipe down the surface of the appliance when you don’t have to worry about big push buttons sticking out.
A blender is an extremely useful kitchen appliance. Adding one to your kitchen collection will prove to be quite beneficial. With the aforementioned information, you should be able to find one that meets your specific needs so that you can enjoy blending, whipping, pureeing and liquefying to your heart’s content.